Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Do not covet

Do not covet.
Now I get it!
God commands us to not covet our neighbor's house or shoes or toys or car.
Which makes sense, because if we are so jealous of others' stuff it can lead to stealing. And other bad stuff. So just don't do it.
But I see something today as my son had to watch his sister pick out a toy for her birthday, and he found that it caused a pain to great to bear alone. "I didn't get anything!"
Should I have gotten him something? I don't know. I was short on time. Bad parenting strikes again.
But I know that this is true in life: sometimes people have birthdays, and usually it is only their birthday, not everyone's birthday.
And that is an interesting fact of life, sometimes other people get blessed.
And God would like it if we didn't covet, because He wants to bless, bless, bless and He would appreciate it if the rest of us stopped whining.
God wants us to be satisfied with what we have. AND He wants to bless us. It's a great combination, for our good, because of His great love, extending to the love we have for one another.
Happy Birthday!

No comments: